Meet the Auxilium Npd success team
Our Focus - R&D Excellence
Auxilium works with your R&D, marketing and leadership professionals to increase productivity through better tools, methods, processes and skills. Since 2002 we have helped hundreds of teams improve their methods, manage critical projects, and drive change.
Each of our team members has decades of real world experience including senior positions with leading companies before joining Auxilium. As a result of our experience, we have learned what works and what doesn’t, and combine proven practices with breakthrough methods to deliver practical programs that achieve desired results.
We also discovered early that agile principles provides great benefits over traditional processes. To help hardware-based teams get the benefits of agile, we started the Modified Agile for Hardware Development (MAHD) Framework initiative to help companies seamlessly integrate agile methods into existing NPD processes.
Our Industry Experience
Companies we work with all have a desire to create more value for customers and do it with fewer resources.
- Medical Devices – Development of diagnostic, monitoring and treatment devices
- Industrial and Test Equipment – Electronic test instruments and manufacturing equipment including robotics
- Consumer Electronics and Home Products – Products ranging from shoes to home computers, high-tech toys, handheld electronics and TV streaming devices
- Communications and Computing – Semiconductors, computers and peripherals, and telecommunications equipment
- Software Applications – Development of mobile apps, operation backend management systems and embedded software
- Automotive Components – Products ranging from high-tech gears to customized trucks
- Building and Construction – Pre-fabricated building components, and heavy construction equipment
Auxilium client projects range from short workshops to extended programs to assess processes, facilitate pilot NPD projects and build practical agile product development skills.
A Sample of Our Clients
President, Gagne Audio
CTO & VP of Engineering, CyberOptics Semiconductor
Mel Greenberg, Manager
Portland General Electric
Dwaine Gilmer, Escalation Engineer
Mike Detmer, VP of Sales
Consumer Audio Client
- Marcos Alonso
CFO, Niles Audio
I give Auxilium a '10' in terms of program content and delivery. We found our engagement useful and were able to make improvements right away.
Sushil Nema, Engineer
Paul L. Fernandez, Jr., Sr. Engineer
By the Numbers
Contact us to learn more about our work, including case studies, and how we might help you optimize your NPD performance.
Client Case Studies
Our client programs range from short-term learning sessions to long-term NPD transformation projects. All programs are conducted under NDA’s to ensure confidentiality.
SituationHighly regarded high-end home entertainment brand damaged by quality problems and inability to release anticipated new products. Auxilium was retained to lead product, organizational, and process improvement efforts.
- Doubled revenue in less than six months with 3x profit increase
- Released over 30 new products in 12 months – 6x increase over previous year
- Built team cabable of effective leadership going forward
- Implemented process and tools for consistent quality and rapid development
SituationA global supplier of security solutions needed a stronger pipeline of innovative products and the ability to quickly identify and execute promising opportunities. Auxilium was retained to develop an agile innovation process and train key stakeholders.
- Instituted innovation metrics with consistent flow of new innovation initiatives
- Three high-potential product-market opportunities in pipeline at any moment
- 15% annual growth target from new products/year
- Dynamic flow of new ideas with ability to quickly make go/kill/wait decisions
SituationRapidly growing company hit a growth plateau due to inefficiencies of ad-hoc processes and inexperienced personnel in leadership roles. Auxilium was brought in to facilitate leadership and management workshops for R&D, marketing and support teams at their five U.S. locations.
- Immediate efficiency gains and revenue growth back on track within two months
- Enhanced collaboration between R&D and product management
- Improved communication & rapport on multi-site teams
- Key team members enabled to increase management responsibility in 4 to 12 month timeframe
An innovative modular construction company wanted to improve on their Scrum-based agile implementation for faster, more flexible and more cost-effective prototyping of building components. Auxilium was retained to help implement MAHD elements and provide insight into alternatives for how they structured teams.
- Identified a path to reduce cost of change by 50%
- Implemented rapid prototyping capabilities within two months
- Enhanced collaboration between architects, engineering and operations teams
- Clearer path to project success using MAHD Iteration Plans
A Fortune 100 developer of communications equipment desired to enhance their current stage-gate process. Auxilium was retained to assess their situation and develop a transformation roadmap based on agile principles while retaining their core process structure.
- Significantly improved ability to prioritize product attributes based on customer needs and market objectives
- Ability to efficiently adapt to changing requirements using agile methods
- Dramatically improved internal culture of collaboration and focus
Auxilium Brings New Thinking, Passion and Expertise to Every Project
Meet Our Core Team
FOUNDER & PRINCIPAL CONSULTANT
Areas of Focus:
Agile Methods for HW Development
Gary has worked in many industries including communication equipment, industrial controls, telemetry systems, consumer audio, avionics, computers, and test & measurement, among others. Throughout his career he has worked with thousands of managers and engineers – leading teams, transforming organizations, improving processes, and helping technical leaders develop leadership and management competencies. Gary has experienced what works and what doesn’t work within hundreds of businesses. Our clients benefit from his broad perspective and deep NPD knowledge.
Prior to founding Auxilium, Gary led engineering teams developing state-of-the-art products at Tektronix, Airbus DS Communications, Laird Technologies and SAIC. His hands-on experience includes projects involving electronic/software product development, process improvements, product quality improvements, business start-up, training program development, and organizational restructuring.
NPDP, BSEE, MBA
Areas of Focus:
Agile Methods for HW Development
Applied Innovation Techniques
Dorian Simpson has helped start-ups to Fortune 500 technology leaders improve their product management and innovation capabilities.
Companies he’s worked with include ABB, GE, Tyco, Owens Corning, Qwest, Technicolor, FEI, VTech, Freightliner, and many others. Before consulting, Dorian held senior positions at Motorola and AT&T in product management, sales, marketing, business development, and engineering. This range of functional experience gives Dorian a deep understanding of cross-functional challenges and solutions.
Dorian has developed highly rated programs in innovation, product management and trained 1000’s of product leaders at universities and directly with companies. He is the co-founder of the Modified Agile for Hardware Development Framework and author of The Savvy Corporate Innovator.
Areas of Focus:
Kenneth Crow is an internationally recognized expert in the field of integrated product development, a distinguished speaker, and creator of the NPD Body of Knowledge. Ken’s experience includes work in aerospace, automotive, capital equipment, consumer products, electronics and high technology, mechanical machinery, and medical equipment industries. He has conducted hundreds of workshops and trained over 2,500 professionals and managers on subjects related to new product development.
Previously, he served as Vice President of the Professional Services Division of Western Data Systems, a supplier of manufacturing, engineering and business software, consulting and education.
Ken received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Information Systems and a Master of Business Administration from the University of California at Los Angeles. He is also a certified NPDP through PDMA, Certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM) through the APICS, is a Certified Configuration Manager through NDIA, and is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA).